Friday, August 5, 2011

Tree searching

Anne Sudworth

I am currently on vacation in Colorado, and I am surrounded by glorious trees.  There's even running water.  On Sunday I'll be going into the woods after church--hopefully before the locals come out for picnics and things--and cutting some tree branches--like wands, but not really with that purpose--from specific trees to add to my home altar.  Thanks to Jena, I know which ones I want to find specifically in order to channel the energy and spirit of healing associated with each.  In a perfect world I'd have the live version, but at least this way I can consciously meditate on the symbolism and draw on the energy that Mother Earth/Gaia can provide.  There is some wonderful information on different metaphysical properties of trees here and here (I have shamelessly copied information from each of these websites, so credit goes to them).

Here are the branches I'm looking for:

Alder - Alder is sacred to the constellation Pisces, the Fishes. It is a wood which lasts a long time submerged in water and is often found on river and lake banks.  In Elvish Eranor Fearn comes from the root feä, meaning "fey" or Faerie magic. This rune invokes astral protection as well as physical and can open the mind to the deep wisdom of the watery element in the form of dreams. It can protect one from the emotions of others, especially warlike anger or bloodlust. It is particularly potent for protection against drowning or disaster by storm or flood. Its use in bridges, half submerged, symbolizes not only its power as a bridge between worlds, but its mentality, amphibiously aware of the conscious and unconscious worlds, the above and below, the overt and the hidden. Magical operations most applicable to Alder include: shielding against all ill-omens and destructive emotions; cultivation of the vision of inner and outer worlds; bridging of the above and below; preparation for conflict; shielding against unwanted intrusions from beyond.
For me, alder is for transformation and healing.


Oak - Oak symbolizes all solar heroes, those who venture out from their homelands to achieve great deeds and bring home wondrous treasures. Oak is one of the longest lived trees, thus embodying great wisdom as well as strength. The name Duir is related to dwyn, "door," or "portal," the great door of a manor dwelling. It is also, of course, often linked to drwyd, "druid" or "wizard." The acorn is associated magically with a helmeted head and so to the crown chakra. Natural branches of Oak are often twisted and gnarly and have a coarse, dark grain. It is a hard and heavy wood. Especially suited to magick of kingship and wise rule, personal sovereignty, authority, power, protection, sealing or opening doors, endurance, and invocation of wisdom, fertility, and abundance.
To me, oak is a wood with grounding and healing properties--both of which I need right now.

Rowan - Also called the Mountain Ash, and Quickbeam for its powers of bestowing and enhancing life, Rowan is sacred to Capricorn. It especially bears the power of the Dark Goddess, the Crone aspect of Mother Earth, and through her the power of fiery Abban, Vulcan, Lord of craft, mountain, and metalwork. Rowan flowers and bright orange berries are marked by the pentagram, symbol of the five Elements; the berries, often retained through Winter, symbolize the endurance of Life through the dark of the year.  A tree of astral vision and protection, particularly good for warding off evil spirits, Rowan traditionally is said to avert storms and lightning, and bring peace. The fondness of songbirds for Rowan berries, gives the tree a link to the bards, and the Goddess Brigid in her role as Muse of poets. It is a tree associated with serpents and dragons and sacred places, the leylines or dragon-lines of Earth energy. The dragon embodies primal energy, a strong force of creativity and natural flow, which cannot be "slain" or "tamed".  Especially suited for magick giving form and order, ritual, growth, fertility, protection, women's autonomy, poetry, weaving and spinning, and geomancy or work with ley lines.
To me, rowan is for protection and inspiration.


I would also love to get my hands on some willow--useful for emotional healing and lifting of depression.  But these are what I'm seeking for now.  I'll have to bring specific descriptions of them with me into the woods because I'm sadly ignorant of botany.  My love of trees has always been generic and all-inclusive.  I've never cared about what type of tree I'm hugging, but I feel that now it would be helpful to know my different trees in order to add more focus to meditations and rituals.  At the end of the day though, I'll talk to any of them--I'm not picky. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment